Spring Training Camp
Spring Training CampRead the Top 10 Reasons to Attend our Spring Training Camp in San Luis Obispo, CA (a.k.a. "SLO Camp")
SLO Camp Basic Information Sheet
SLO Camp Registration Form
Since 2005, each March, xXx Racing flees the cold of Chicago in favor of a warmer climate. We head to San Luis Obispo (SLO), CA, for a Spring Training Camp (a.k.a. "SLO Camp") that includes 8 days of cycling along the central California coast and inland into the Santa Lucia Mountains. Covering as many as 550 miles and 35,000 feet of elevation, this fully supported training camp welcomes riders of all skill levels. This camp includes extensive skill development including riding in groups, pace lines, race tactics, and a dedicated bike-handling skills clinic. “SLO Camp” serves as both a way to get in significant base mileage as well as a chance to do some significant climbing (which we don’t get to do in Chicago!), all while getting to know and bond with teammates.
You'll enhance your riding experience and better understand why you love to ride your bike and how that makes your life better. SLO is a wonderful place to be and to ride your bicycle for 8 days after a long Chicago winter. Some might say that it is a little slice of heaven; SLO has actually been named one of the Happiest Places on Earth!
SLO Campers departs on a Friday, return late the following Saturday, and experience different rides/routes every day. Camp fees include coaching and route planning by Randy Warren, SAG wagon support, one mid-camp massage, ground transportation between LAX and SLO, hotel, daily continental breakfast, recovery meals, and most of your dinners.
This is a great trip at a really low price. Similar camps held by other organizations are about 3x more costly, making SLO Camp not only a great experience, but an exceptional value as well. Riders frequently talk about this camp as being their annual favorite as all they have to worry about is riding, eating and sleeping!
We invite all current members AND alumni to join us in an annual celebration of cycling on California’s beautiful Central Coast with SLO Camp! For many team members, both present and past, SLO Camp is one of the most meaningful and memorable parts of their xXx Racing experience. For some, SLO Camp has been the impetus to be more involved in xXx Racing; for some it was their primary involvement with the team. For all, it is a glorious week of riding in one of the best places on earth with amazing teammates and just a FUN time!
2022 Spring Training Camp in San Luis Obispo, California, (a.k.a. "SLO Camp") dates are set!When: Friday, March 25th, through Saturday, April 2nd, 2022.
Where: San Luis Obispo (SLO) - Central Coast California
Details for 2022:
- All current team members (join today!) AND team alumni are invited - a team reunion of sorts at SLO Camp!
- We are taking steps to try to lower the barriers for team members and alumni to join us at SLO Camp. An 8-day training camp with climbing can be intimidating for some, we always have shorter ride options each day for those who may not be able to keep up with the stronger or faster riders but still want full days of riding.
- Organized and managed by longtime team member and USA Cycling Level 1 *D Coach, Randy Warren of Warren Cycling, we produce this camp at an unbelievable price, and the team bonding that takes place is something that can't be replicated.
- Cost info: The cost will ultimately depend on how many people attend the camp (as we split shared costs), but this is a great trip and a great value. Similar camps held by other organizations/companies (e.g. Trek Travel, Carmichael Training Systems/CTS) are about 3x more costly. The price includes the following:
- Lodging (8 nights) at the Peach Tree Inn
- Airport transportation to/from LAX
- Daily ride SAG support
- One 20-minute massage (additional massage may be available at extra cost)
- Most of your food (including all breakfasts, 5 dinners, and daily post-ride recovery sandwiches for 8 days)
- Note: Airfare is additional and is your reponsibility
- Plan now to be a part of this xXx Racing team tradition.
- DEADLINES: Please fill out the Registration Form linked below (or linked in the team forum) by Friday, January 14th, end of day.
SLO Camp Basic Information Sheet
SLO Camp Registration Form
Top 10 Reasons to Join Us for "SLO Camp"
- Skills Clinic - On our rest day (Day 4, Tuesday), we do a bike handling clinic that includes skills like emergency braking, picking up water bottles from the ground, bumping shoulders and elbows with a rider next to you, and how to react if your front wheel touches the wheel of the rider in front of you. It is important to know how to handle your bike in a race or a group ride, and being comfortable with these skills will help make you a better rider and racer.
- Cinnamon rolls - A refueling stop at Old West Cinnamon Rolls in Pismo Beach is a highlight of our rides on Day 1 (Saturday) and Day 6 (Thursday).
- Montaña de Oro State Park - On Day 6 (Thursday) we ride to Montaña de Oro State Park in Los Osos. On this day we ask riders to wear any championship or other special jersey that they have, whether it be a State Championship jersey, National Championship jersey, leaders jersey, or other commemorative jersey for a group photo at Spooner’s Cove looking out over the Pacific Ocean.
- The back porch at the Peach Tree Inn - The back porch and the shade tree at the Peach Tree Inn are the perfect spot to relax after a long day in the saddle at SLO Camp. Riders can enjoy a recovery sandwich and rehydrate while swapping stories with teammates about the day’s ride, stretching, and foam rolling.
- Team Time Trial up the backside of “The Wall” - On Day 7 (Friday) we split up all the riders into small teams and compete against each other in a 26-mile team time trial from Cayucos on Highway 1, through Cambria, and up the backside of “The Wall” climb on Santa Rosa Creek Road in Templeton.
- The weather - One of the best parts of SLO Camp is the weather. After 4-5 months of winter’ish Chicago weather, everyone is ready to enjoy some sunny and warm weather in central California.
- Black Mountain - Day 5 (Wednesday) is a big and exciting day if you choose to do the climb up to the FAA radar station at the top of Black Mountain in Santa Margarita where you will be treated to amazing views from the top of the climb. Even if you skip the 7-mile climb up Black Mountain Road, it’s still a beautiful ride through Creston and Santa Margarita.
- Dinner with the Lerners - The Lerner family, Coach Randy’s friends from his time living in San Luis Obispo, have been hosting XXX Racing SLO Camp attendees for dinner at their home for over 10 years. A home-cooked meal at the Lerner’s home is always a welcomed treat.
- Riding along the Ocean - 5 out of the 8 days of camp include rides along and views of the Pacific Ocean. While we are fortunate to live along the coast of Lake Michigan in Chicago, few things compare to the views along the Pacific coast in Central California.
- Bonding with teammates - SLO Camp is an experience that has no substitute. It is an opportunity to challenge your cycling fitness, improve your cycling skills, make new friends, and bond with teammates in a beautiful environment.
Updated January 8, 2022